Place:


Newton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newton like this:

NEWTON, a township, conjoint with Scales, in Kirkham parish, Lancashire; on the river Ribble, and adjacent to the Preston and Wyre railway, 1¼ mile E S E of Kirkham. Acres, 1, 525; of which 295 are water. Real property, £2, 647. Pop., 286. Houses, 62. The property is subdivided. A blue-coat school, for maintaining, clothing, and educating poor native boys and girls, was founded here in 1707, by John Hornbie; was re-built in 1864; and has an endowed income of about £600.

Newton through time

Newton is now part of Fylde district. Click here for graphs and data of how Fylde has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newton, in Fylde and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10696

Date accessed: 18th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newton ".