In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Swinton like this:
SWINTON, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Wath-upon-Dearne parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands near the Dearne and Dove navigation, and near the junction of the North Midland and the South Yorkshire railways, 4½ miles NNE of R other ham; and has a post-office‡ under R other ham, and a r. station with telegraph.-The township contains also S.-Bridge and Birdwell-Flat hamlets and part of Kilnhurst. Acres, 1,628. Real property, £6,599. Pop. in 1851, 1,817; in 1861, 3,190. ...
Houses, 659. The increase of pop. arose from extension of coal mining, bottle-making, the iron trade, and railway traffic. The manor belongs to Earl Fitz-William. There are an extensive pottery, extensive glass-works, an establishment of the South Yorkshire railway for repairing engines and waggons, and the Swinton iron-works. The limits include part of Kiln-hurst chapelry. Pop. of S. chapelry, 2,317. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £300.* Patron, Earl Fitzwilliam. The church was rebuilt in 1817, at a cost of £6,500. There are an Independent chapel, a Wesleyan chapel, and two national schools.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Swinton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Rotherham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Swinton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Swinton, in Rotherham and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Swinton".