Place:


Carlton Curlieu  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Carlton Curlieu like this:

CARLTON-CURLIEW, a village and a parish in Billesdon district, Leicester. The village stands on an affluent of the river Welland, 2 miles NE of Kibworth r. station, and 7½ NNW of Market-Harborough. The parish includes also the township of Ilston-on-the-Hill: and its Post Town is Great Glen, under Leicester. ...


Acres, 2,970. Real property, £4,838. Pop., 308. Houses, 61. The property is divided among a few. CarltonCurliew Hall, a Tudor edifice, is the seat of Capt. F. Sutton. The living is a rectory in the diocese of peterborough. Value, £242. Patron, Sir J. H. Palmer, Bart. The church is good; and has some old monuments.

Carlton Curlieu through time

Carlton Curlieu is now part of Harborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Carlton Curlieu itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carlton Curlieu, in Harborough and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10674

Date accessed: 23rd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Carlton Curlieu ".