Place:


Burton Lazars  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burton Lazars like this:

BURTON-LAZARS, a chapelry in Melton-Mowbray parish, Leicester; adjacent to the Melton-Mowbray and Oakham canal, and to the Syston and Peterborough railway, 1¾ mile SE by S of Melton-Mowbray. Post Town, Melton-Mowbray. Acres, 2,060. Real property, £4,506. Pop., 233. Houses, 52. The property is divided among a few. ...


A lepers' hospital was founded here in the time of Stephen, partly by a general collection throughout England, but chiefly by the Mowbrays; and was the chief lazar-house in England. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Melton-Mowbray, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church is good.

Burton Lazars through time

Burton Lazars is now part of Melton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Melton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burton Lazars itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burton Lazars, in Melton and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10667

Date accessed: 19th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burton Lazars ".