Place:


Burrough on the Hill  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burrough on the Hill like this:

BURROUGH, or Burrow-on-the-Hill, a parish in Melton-Mowbray district, Leicester; 5½ miles S of Melton-Mowbray r. station. It has a post office, of the name of Borrow-on-the-Hill, under Melton-Mowbray. Acres, 1,565. Real property, £2,754. Pop., 138. Houses, 28. The property is subdivided. Burrough Hill, called also Cæsar's camp, commands a fine view. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £433.* Patron, the Rev. G. Burnaby. The church has a figured circular font, a piscina, and the tomb of a Stockden, and is good.

Burrough on the Hill through time

Burrough on the Hill is now part of Melton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Melton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burrough on the Hill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burrough on the Hill, in Melton and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10666

Date accessed: 25th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burrough on the Hill ".