Place:


Buckminster  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Buckminster like this:

BUCKMINSTER, a village and a parish in MeltonMowbray district, Leicester. The village stands on the verge of the county, 4½ miles NNW of Brooksby r. station, and 9½ ENE of Melton-Mowbray. The parish includes also the chapelry of Sewstern; and its Post Town is Colsterworth, under Grantham. ...


Acres, 3,053. Real property, £2,858. Pop., 655. Houses, 144. Buckminster Park, with a fine Grecian mansion of 1798, is the seat of the Earl of Dysart. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Sewstern, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £161.* Patron, the Earl of Dysart. The church is ancient, of various dates; and has a tower and spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £48.

Buckminster through time

Buckminster is now part of Melton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Melton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Buckminster itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Buckminster, in Melton and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10664

Date accessed: 24th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Buckminster ".