Place:


Filton  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Filton like this:

FILTON, or Fylton, a parish in Clifton district, Gloucester; on the Bristol and South Wales Union railway, 5 miles N of Bristol. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Bristol. Acres, 1, 030. Real property, £2, 631. Pop., 317. Houses, 58. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor belonged to the Fyltons. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £242.* Patron, R. Poulden, Esq. The church, with the exception of the tower, was recently rebuilt; and the tower contains a stone coffin, which was discovered at the re-building. Charities, £5.

Filton through time

Filton is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Filton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Filton in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10661

Date accessed: 22nd September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Filton ".