Place:


Elmstone Hardwicke  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elmstone Hardwicke like this:

ELMSTONE-HARDWICKE, a parish in Tewkesbury and Cheltenham districts, Gloucester; on the Gloucester and Birmingham railway, near Cleeve station, 3¾ miles NNW of Cheltenham. It contains the hamlet of Uckington; and its post town is Bishops-Cleeve, under Cheltenham. Acres, 2, 613. Real property, £2, 460. Pop., 440. Houses, 102. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £233.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is early Norman, and has some curious carvings.

Elmstone Hardwicke through time

Elmstone Hardwicke is now part of Tewkesbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tewkesbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Elmstone Hardwicke itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elmstone Hardwicke, in Tewkesbury and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10647

Date accessed: 22nd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Elmstone Hardwicke ".