Place:


Hove  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hove like this:

HOVE, a town and a parish in Steyning district, Sussex. The town stands on the coast and on the South Coast railway, contiguous to Brighton; was, not long ago, a small village of scattered houses; is now a suburb or rather part of Brighton; is united to the main body of that town by a series of streets and squares; extends to the W; comprises handsome streets, squares, and terraces, equal or superior to the best in other parts of Brighton; is a coast guard station; and has two stations, of the names of Hove and Cliftonville, on the railway, and a post office † under Brighton. ...


The parish is all within Brighton parliamentary borough; and comprises 712 acres of land and 160 of water. Real property, £88, 660. Pop. in 1851, 4, 104; in 1861, 9, 624. Houses, 1, 256. The increase of pop. arose mainly from the extension of Brighton. Hove House is the residence of W. Rigden, Esq., the famous feeder of Southdown sheep; and nearly all the land is occupied by him. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Preston, in the diocese of Chichester; and there are four separate livings, all p. curacies, called St. Andrew, St. John the Baptist, StPatrick and St. James, and Holy Trinity-with-PrestonCliftonville. Value of the vicarage, £306; * of the p. curacies, not reported. Patron of the vicarage, the Bishop of Chichester; of St. Andrew. Sir H. Fleetwood; of St. John the Baptist and Holy Trinity, the Vicar; of St. Patrick and St. James, the Rev. James O'Brien. The parochial church stands at Cliftonville; is Norman, with retention of the original arches; was thoroughly restored in 1834; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. St. Andrew's church stands in Waterloo street; and is a neat edifice, containing several handsome tablets. St. John's church stands at the W end of the Westernroad; and is a cruciform edifice, in the early English style. St. James' church stands in Cambridge road; was built, in 1858, at the expense of the Rev. James O'Brien; is a large and noble edifice, in the early decorated English style; and comprises entrance cloister, lofty nave, chancel, two aisles, and chapels. Holy Trinity church stands at Cliftonville; was built in 1864; is in the early English style; and contains 650 sittings. There are also non-established places of worship, and public schools. See Brighton.

Hove through time

Hove is now part of Brighton and Hove district. Click here for graphs and data of how Brighton and Hove has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hove itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hove, in Brighton and Hove and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1064

Date accessed: 26th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hove ".