Place:


Great Bowden  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Bowden like this:

BOWDEN (Great), or Bowden-Magna, a village and a parish in Market-Harborough district, Leicester. The village stands on the Union canal, the river Welland, and the Northwestern railway, 1 mile NE of MarketHarborough; and has a post office, of the name of Great Bowden, under Rugby.—The parish includes also the town and chapelry of Market-Harborough. ...


Acres, 3,120. Real property, £9,681. Pop., 3,697. Houses, 777. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £86. Patron, Christ's Church College, Oxford. The church is good; and there are charities £47. The p. curacy of Market-Harborough is a separate benefice.

Great Bowden through time

Great Bowden is now part of Harborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Bowden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Bowden, in Harborough and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10635

Date accessed: 23rd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Bowden ".