Place:


West Dean  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Dean like this:

DEAN (West), a township in the district of Monmouth and county of Gloucester; averagely 1½ mile E of Coleford. It consists of the western portion of Dean Forest; and comprises Worcester-walk, York or Park-end-walk, and parts of Denby and Speech-House-walks. Acres, 19, 035. Real property, £33, 104; of which £22, 870 are in mines, £449 in quarries, and £810 in ironworks. Pop., 8, 254. Houses; 1, 655.

West Dean through time

West Dean is now part of Forest of Dean district. Click here for graphs and data of how Forest of Dean has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Dean itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Dean, in Forest of Dean and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10587

Date accessed: 23rd March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Dean ".