Place:


East Dean  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Dean like this:

DEAN (East), a township in Westbury-on-Severn district, Gloucestershire; averagely 3 miles E of Newnham r. station, and 13 SW of Gloucester. It consists of the eastern part of Dean forest; and comprises Herbert's walk, Little Dean walk, and parts of Denby walk and Speech-House walk. Acres, 12, 487. Real property, £48, 253; of which £33, 080 were in mines, £205 in quarries, and £327 in railways. Pop., 9, 212. Houses, 1,896.

East Dean through time

East Dean is now part of Forest of Dean district. Click here for graphs and data of how Forest of Dean has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Dean itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Dean, in Forest of Dean and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10586

Date accessed: 25th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Dean ".