Place:


Woore  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Woore like this:

WOORE, or Wore, a township and a chapelry in Mucclestone parish, Salop. The township lies 2¾ miles WSW of Madeley r. station, and 6¾ NE of Market-Drayton; and has a post-office under Market-Drayton. Acres, 5,291. Pop., 783. Houses, 169. The chapelry was constituted in 1841. Pop., 839. Houses, 184. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £96.* Patron, G. Kenrick, Esq. The church was built in 1830. There is a national school.

Woore through time

Woore is now part of North Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Woore itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woore in North Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10539

Date accessed: 25th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Woore ".