Place:


Wombridge  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wombridge like this:

WOMBRIDGE, a parish and a sub-district in Wellington district, Salop. The parish lies on Watling-street, and on the Shrewsbury and Wolverhampton railway, near Oakengates r. station, and 2½ miles E of Wellington; and includes part of Oakengates chapelry, which has a post-office under Wellington, Salop. ...


Acres, 698. Real property, £6,699; of which £3,900 are in iron-works, and £25 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 2,166; in 1861, 2,601. Houses, 455. The increase of pop. arose from extension of iron-works, and from facilities for purchasing land for building purposes. The manor belongs to the Duke of Sutherland and St. J.Charlton, Esq. Extensive iron-works and colliery works are at Ketley. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £133. Patron, St. J.Charlton, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1760, and recently enlarged. The vicarage of Oakengates is a separate benefice. There are a Wesleyan chapel and national schools.—The sub-district contains three parishes and a part. Acres, 3,295. Pop., 6,597. Houses, 1,193.

Wombridge through time

Wombridge is now part of Telford and Wrekin district. Click here for graphs and data of how Telford and Wrekin has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wombridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wombridge, in Telford and Wrekin and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10534

Date accessed: 25th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wombridge ".