Place:


Welshampton  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Welshampton like this:

HAMPTON-WELSH, a parish in Ellesmere district, Salop; on the Cambrian railway, 2½ miles ENE of Ellesmere. It has a r. station. Post town, Ellesmere, under Shrewsbury. Acres, 1, 570. Rated property, £1, 637. Pop., 516. Houses, 120. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £139. * Patron,K. Mainwaring, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1863; is in the decorated English style; and has an apsidal chancel, a bell cote over the chancel arch, and columns of polished Devonshire marble.

Welshampton through time

Welshampton is now part of North Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Welshampton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Welshampton in North Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10520

Date accessed: 17th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Welshampton ".