Place:


Aberdar  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aberdar like this:

ABERDARE, a town, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Merthyr-Tydvil, Glamorgan. The town stands at the confluence of the Dare and the Cynon, 4 miles SW of Merthyr-Tydvil, and 24 NNW of Cardiff. A railway and a canal connect it with Cardiff; and a junction branch, 1½ mile long, connects it with the railway from Merthyr-Tydvil to Neath. ...


The scenery around it is picturesque. Extensive collieries and ironworks are adjacent; and these have raised the place, since about the year 1835, from the condition of a village to the condition of a large and flourishing town. The town has a telegraph station, a head post office,‡ two hotels, three banking offices, an elegant church called St. Elvan's, another church in the French pointed style built in 1865, two other churches, several dissenting chapels, a public park formed in 1868, markets on Wednesday and Saturday, and three annual fairs.

The parish contains the hamlets of Cefnpennar, Cwmdare, Forchaman, and Llwydcoed; and is all within the parliamentary burgh of Merthyr-Tydvil. Acres, 16,310. Real property in Cefnpennar, £32,867,-of which £23,096 are in mines and ironworks; in Cwmdare, £32,794, -of which £12,374 are in mines and ironworks; in For chaman, £54,871,-of which £31,718 are in mines and ironworks; in Llwydcoed, £29,874,-of which £26,457 are in mines and ironworks. Pop. of the parish in 1841, 6,471; in 1861, 32,299. Houses, 5,834. The property is subdivided. Abernant House, the seat of one of the principal proprietors, adjoins the town. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelries of St. Elvan, Hirwain, and St. Mary, in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £305.* Patron, the Marquis of Bute. The vicarage of St. Fagan and the p. curacy of Mountain-Ash are separate. Value of St. F., £300.* Patron, the Bishop of L. The Welsh poet Owen was a native, and the dissenting theologian E. Evans died here.-The subdistrict comprehends three parishes. Pop., 37,487.

Aberdar through time

Aberdar is now part of Rhondda; Cynon; Taff district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rhondda; Cynon; Taff has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aberdar itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aberdar, in Rhondda; Cynon; Taff and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1052

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aberdar ".