Place:


Stottesdon  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stottesdon like this:

STOTTESDEN, a township, a parish, a sub-district, and a hundred, in Salop. The township lies 5¾ miles N of Cleobury-Mortimer r. station, and has a post-office under Bewdley.—The parish contains also 16 other townships and Farlow chapelry; and comprises 11,443 acres. Real property, £9,317; of which £100 are in mines, £100 in quarries, and £60 in lime-works. ...


Pop., 1,518. Houses, 305. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £676.* Patron, the Duke of Cleveland. The church is good. The p. curacy of Farlow is a separate benefice.—The sub-district contains also 5 other parishes and a chapelry; and is in Cleobury-Mortimer district. Acres, 24,823. Pop., 2,790. Houses, 553.-The hundred consists of Chelmarsh and Cleobury divisions. Acres, 84,158. Pop., 12,218. Houses, 2,503.

Stottesdon through time

Stottesdon is now part of Bridgnorth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bridgnorth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stottesdon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stottesdon, in Bridgnorth and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10501

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stottesdon ".