Place:


Huncoat  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Huncoat like this:

HUNCOAT, a village and a township in Whalley parish, Lancashire. The village stands on a risingground, adjacent to the East Lancashire railway, 1½ mile NE by E of Accrington; and has a station on the railway, and chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans.-The township comprises 960 acres. Real property, £2, 336; of which £50 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 598; in 1861, 839. Houses, 154. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of cotton spinning. The Accrington cemetery and the reservoir of the Accrington waterworks are on the border.

Huncoat through time

Huncoat is now part of Hyndburn district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hyndburn has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Huncoat itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Huncoat, in Hyndburn and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10477

Date accessed: 16th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Huncoat ".