Place:


Shrawardine  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shrawardine like this:

SHRAWARDINE, a parish, with a r. station, in Atcham district, Salop; on the Potteries, Shrewsbury, and NorthWales railway, 6½ miles WNW of Shrewsbury. Post town, Montford, under Shrewsbury. Acres, 1,951. Rated property, £2,678. Pop., 161. Houses, 34. The property belongs to the Earl of Powis. ...


A castle was built here, by Count Alan, soon after the Norman conquest; was long held, under the Crown, by the Fitz-Alans, for defence against the Welsh; was sold, in the time of Queen Elizabeth, to Lord Chancellor Bromley; was occupied by Cromwell, in the time of the civil war; and has left some remains. A recently erected building bears its name; and a considerable lake is near it. The living is a rectory, annexed to Montford.

Shrawardine through time

Shrawardine is now part of Shrewsbury and Atcham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shrewsbury and Atcham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shrawardine itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shrawardine, in Shrewsbury and Atcham and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10476

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shrawardine ".