Place:


Shelve  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shelve like this:

SHELVE, a hamlet and a parish in Clun district, Salop. The hamlet is situated on ground nearly 500 feet above sea-level, 2 miles NE of the boundary with Wales, 2 W of the Stiper-Stones ridge, and 7½ N of Bishops-Castle r. station; and was once a market-town. The parish comprises 1,285 acres. ...


Post town, Shrewsbury. Real property, £3,079; of which £740 are in mines, and £16 in quarries. Pop., 78. Houses, 16. The manor belongs to the Rev. T. F. More. Lead mines here were worked by the Romans; and a pig of lead, bearing a Roman inscription, was not long ago discovered. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £80. Patron, the Rev. T. F. More. The church was rebnilt in 1839. There is a national school.

Shelve through time

Shelve is now part of South Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shelve itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shelve in South Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10473

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shelve ".