Place:


Shawbury  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shawbury like this:

SHAWBURY, a township and a parish in Wem district, Salop. The township lies on the river Roden, 3¾ miles E by S of Yorton r. station, and 7 N E by N of Shrewsbury; and has a post-office under Shrewsbury. The parish contains also six other townships and a part; and comprises 7, 221 acres. ...


Real property, £6, 278. Pop., 1,027. Houses, 202. The property is divided among three. Building-stone is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £450.* Patron, Sir V. R. Corbet, Bart. The church is ancient. There are a slightly endowed school, and charities £58.

Shawbury through time

Shawbury is now part of North Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shawbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shawbury in North Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10471

Date accessed: 21st August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shawbury ".