Place:


St Georges  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Georges like this:

PAINS-LANE, a chapelry in Lilleshall parish, Salop; on Watling-street, 1 mile E by S of Oakengates r. station, and 3¾ E by S of Wellington. It was constituted in 1837; and its post town is Wellington, Salop. Pop., 614. Houses, 122. The property is all in one estate. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £205.* Patron, the Duke of Sutherland. The church is good.

St Georges through time

St Georges is now part of Telford and Wrekin district. Click here for graphs and data of how Telford and Wrekin has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Georges itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Georges, in Telford and Wrekin and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10470

Date accessed: 23rd May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Georges ".