Place:


Ruyton Xi Towns  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ruyton Xi Towns like this:

RUYTON OF-THE-ELEVEN-TOWNS, a village and a parish in Oswestry district, Salop. The village stands on the river Perry, 2½ miles W by S of Baschurch r.station, and 10 N W of Shrewsbury; is thought, by manyantiquaries, to occupy the site of the Roman station Rutunium; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Shrewsbury, and fairs on the Monday before the April and Nov. ...


fairs of Shrewsbury, and on 5 July. The parish contains also the townships of Cotton, Eardiston, Shelvock, Shotatton, and Wykey. Acres, 4, 698. Real property, £8, 501; of which £10 are in mines. Pop., 1, 200. Houses, 232. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Major Edwards. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £304.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was being restored in 1868. There are chapels for Independents and Primitive Methodists, and an endowed national school.

Ruyton Xi Towns through time

Ruyton Xi Towns is now part of Oswestry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Oswestry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ruyton Xi Towns itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ruyton Xi Towns, in Oswestry and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10469

Date accessed: 21st May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ruyton Xi Towns ".