Place:


Ratlinghope  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ratlinghope like this:

RATLINGHOPE, a township and a parish in Clun district, Salop. The township lies on the river Onny, 4½ miles W N W of Church-Stretton r. station. The parish contains also the township of Stitt-with-Gatten; and its post town is Church-Stretton, Shropshire. Acres, 5, 559. Rated property, £2, 299. ...


Pop., 285. Houses, 45. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to R. Scott, Esq. Part of the land is waste. A thin vein of copper ore has been found. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £65. Patrons,B. and W. Hawkins, Esqs. The church is tolerable.

Ratlinghope through time

Ratlinghope is now part of South Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ratlinghope itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ratlinghope in South Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10463

Date accessed: 23rd May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ratlinghope ".