Place:


Quatt  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Quatt like this:

QUATT, a parish in Bridgnorth district, Salop; adjacent to the river Severn, 1¾ mile N E by N of Hampton-Lode r. station, and 4 S S E of Bridgnorth. It. Consists of the townships of Q.-Jervis and Q.-Malvern; and it has a post-office under Bridgnorth. Acres, 2, 674. Real property, £4, 113. ...


Pop. in 1861, 485. Houses, 69. The manor, with Dudmaston Hall, belongs to the Rev. F. H. Wolryche Whitmore, who is the chief landowner. There are traces of a Roman camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield, Value, £430.* Patrons, the Trustees of the late W. W. Whitmore, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1763; has a tower; and contains an ancient font, and monuments of the Wolryches. There is a parochial school.

Quatt through time

Quatt is now part of Bridgnorth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bridgnorth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Quatt itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Quatt, in Bridgnorth and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10462

Date accessed: 25th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Quatt ".