Place:


Quatford  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Quatford like this:

QUATFORD, a village and a parish in Bridgnorth district, Salop. The village stands on the river Severn, 2¼ miles S E of Bridgnorth r. station; and has a post-office under Bridgnorth. The parish includes Eardington township, and comprises 1,813 acres. Real property, £7, 118; of which £100 are in quarries, £100 in mines, and £120 in iron-works. ...


Pop. in 1851, 692; in 1861, 598. Houses, 126. The property is divided among a few. Q. House is a chief residence. The living is a p.curacy in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £59.* Patron, Lord Sudeley. The church is old but good, and has a tower. There are a Baptist chapel, a slightly endowed school, and charities £34.

Quatford through time

Quatford is now part of Bridgnorth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bridgnorth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Quatford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Quatford, in Bridgnorth and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10460

Date accessed: 17th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Quatford ".