Place:


Priors Lee  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Priors Lee like this:

PRIORS-LEE, a village and a chapelry in Shiffnal parish, Salop. The village stands adjacent to Watling-street and to the Birmingham and Shrewsbury r., 1 mile E S E of Oakengates r. station, and 2¾ W N W of Shiffnal; and has a post-office under Shiffnal. The chapelry contains also the hamlet of Oakengates, and was constituted in 1837. ...


Rated property, £2, 804. Pop., 2, 461. Houses, 460. The property is divided among a few. P. L. Hall is the seat of the Hortons; and P. L. House, of the Mountfords. There are blast furnaces, foundries, and rolling and slitting mills. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £150. Patron, the Vicar of Shiffnal. The church was built in 1837. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Priors Lee through time

Priors Lee is now part of Telford and Wrekin district. Click here for graphs and data of how Telford and Wrekin has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Priors Lee itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Priors Lee, in Telford and Wrekin and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10458

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Priors Lee ".