Place:


Preston upon the Weald Moors  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Preston upon the Weald Moors like this:

PRESTON-UPON-THE-WILD-MOORS, a parish in Wellington district, Salop; on the Shropshire canal, 2 miles W N W of Donnington r. station, and 3 N E of Wellington. Post-town, Wellington, Salop. Acres, 1,057. Real property, £1, 672. Pop., 228. Houses, 34. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. ...


Value, £198.* Patron, alternately Preston Hospital and Col. Charton. The church is good. Preston Hospital here was founded in 1716, by Lady Herbert; is a quadrangle, with accommodation for 28 widows and 20 girls, and with a chapel and a school; and has an endowed income of £1, 757.

Preston upon the Weald Moors through time

Preston upon the Weald Moors is now part of Telford and Wrekin district. Click here for graphs and data of how Telford and Wrekin has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Preston upon the Weald Moors itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Preston upon the Weald Moors, in Telford and Wrekin and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10457

Date accessed: 08th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Preston upon the Weald Moors ".