Place:


Preston Gubbals  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Preston Gubbals like this:

PRESTON-GUBBALS, a parish in Atcham district, Salop; adjacent to the Crewe and Shrewsbury and to the Shrewsbury and Oswestry railways, 1½ mile W of Hadnall r. station, and 4½ N of Shrewsbury. It contains the township of Merrington and the hamlet of Bomere-Heath; and has a post-office under Shrewsbury. ...


Acres, 2, 281. Rated property, £2, 471. Pop. in 1851, 393; in 1861, 478. Houses, 106. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £129. Patron, Dowager Lady Tyrwhitt. The church is ancient; and there are an Independent chapel, and charities £5.

Preston Gubbals through time

Preston Gubbals is now part of Shrewsbury and Atcham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shrewsbury and Atcham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Preston Gubbals itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Preston Gubbals, in Shrewsbury and Atcham and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10456

Date accessed: 25th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Preston Gubbals ".