Place:


Pitchford  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pitchford like this:

PITCHFORD, a village and a parish in Atcham district, Salop. The village stands on an affluent of the river Severn, near Watling-street, 1¾ mile S by W of Berrington r. station, and 6 S S E of Shrewsbury; takes its name from a pitch or petroleum well; and is a seat ofpetty sessions. The parish comprises 1, 645 acres. ...


Post-town, Berrington, under Shrewsbury. Real property, £2, 511. Pop., 180. Houses, 32. The property is divided among a few. P. Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £206.* Patrons, the Heirs of the Earl of Liverpool. The church is old but good; and contains an effigies of a Templar, and monuments of the Otleys.

Pitchford through time

Pitchford is now part of Shrewsbury and Atcham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shrewsbury and Atcham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pitchford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pitchford, in Shrewsbury and Atcham and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10451

Date accessed: 25th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pitchford ".