Place:


Onibury  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Onibury like this:

ONIBURY, a village and a parish in Ludlow district, Salop. The village stands on the river Onny, adjacent to the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway, 1½ mile N of the boundary with Herefordshire, and 6¼ N W of Ludlow; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Newton, Salop. ...


The parish contains also the hamlet of Walton, and comprises 1, 992 acres. Real property, £2, 703. Pop., 375. Houses, 76. The property is divided among three. The manor belongs to the Earl of Craven. Building-stone is quarried. The parish is a meet for the Ludlow hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £316. Patron, the Earl of Craven. The church is ancient, with a tower; and was restored in 1837, and re-roofed in 1840. There is an endowed school.

Onibury through time

Onibury is now part of South Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Onibury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Onibury in South Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10449

Date accessed: 24th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Onibury ".