Place:


Great Ness  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Ness like this:

NESS (Great), a township and a parish in Ellesmere district, Salop. The township lies adjacent to the Potteries, Shrewsbury, and North Wales railway, between Kinnerley and Ness-Cliff r. stations, 8 miles, by road, N W by W of Shrewsbury. The parish contains also the townships of Alderton, Felton-Butler, Hopton, Kinton, Ness-Cliff, and Wilcott; and its post town is Baschurch, under Shrewsbury. ...


Acres, 5, 279. Real property, £6, 267. Pop., 573. Houses, 116. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Earl of Bradford.-Ness Hall has belonged to the Edwards family since 1660. A remarkable cave is in the parish, divided into two sections by a massive rockpillar, and inscribed with the date 1564 and the initials of the outlaw Humphrey Kynaston. Fine red sandstoneis quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £305.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, of different periods; has a tower; and is in good condition. There are a parochial school, and charities every fourth year £20.

Great Ness through time

Great Ness is now part of Oswestry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Oswestry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Ness itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Ness, in Oswestry and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10436

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Ness ".