Place:


Morville  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Morville like this:

MORVILL, a village and a parish in Bridgnorth district, Salop. The village stands on a small affluent of the river Severn, 3 miles W by N of Bridgnorth r. station; and has a post office under Bridgnorth. The parish contains also the township of Aston-Eyre, and comprises 5,166 acres. Real property, not separately returned. ...


Pop., 507. Houses, 101. The property is divided among five. Aldenham Hall is a chief residence. A priory, a cell to Shrewsbury abbey, was anciently here. The parish is a meet for the Wheatland hounds. The living is a p. curacy, united with the chapelry of AstonEyre, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £204. Patron, Lord Sudeley. The church is ancient but good, and has a tower. A Roman Catholic chapel is at Aldenham Hall. Charities, £24.

Morville through time

Morville is now part of Bridgnorth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bridgnorth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Morville itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Morville, in Bridgnorth and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10427

Date accessed: 20th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Morville ".