Place:


Montford  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Montford like this:

MONTFORD, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Atcham district, Salop. The village stands on the river Severn, 3½ miles NNW of Hanwood r. station, and 5 W by N of Shrewsbury; and has a bridge over the Severn, and a post office under Shrewsbury.—The parish contains also the township of Ensdon, and comprises 2,976 acres. ...


Real property, £8,159. Pop., 468. Houses, 100. The property is divided among a few. The living a vicarage, united with the rectory of Shrawardine, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £613.* Patron, the Earl of Powis. The church has a tower, and is good. -The sub-district contains three other parishes. Acres, 7,857. Pop., 1,166. Houses, 237.

Montford through time

Montford is now part of Shrewsbury and Atcham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shrewsbury and Atcham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Montford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Montford, in Shrewsbury and Atcham and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10423

Date accessed: 20th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Montford ".