Place:


Ludford  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ludford like this:

LUDFORD, a parish in the district of Ludlow, and counties of Salop and Hereford; containing a village of its own name in the H. portion, and the township of Street in the S. portion. The village stands on the river Teme, near the Hereford and Shrewsbury railway, ½ a mile S of Ludlow; occupies the site of a Roman station; is an oldfashioned place; and has an old but substantial bridge, communicating with Ludlow. ...


The H. portion of the parish is wholly, and the S. portion partly, within Ludlow borough. Post town, Ludlow. Acres of the S. portion, 1,204; of the H. portion, 663. Rated property of the whole, £3,639. Pop. of the S. portion, 200; of the H. portion, 119. Houses, 49 and 26. Pop. of the part of the S. portion within Ludlow borough, 98. Houses, 24. The property is divided among a few. Ludford House was formerly the seat of the Charlton family, and belongs now to the trustees of J. Leechman, Esq. Stone is quarried; and a saline spring, of some medicinal repute, is at Saltmore. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £200. Patrons, the Representatives of the late J. Leechman, Esq. The church is ancient, and has a tower. Alms houses for six poor persons were founded in 1672, and have an income of £63; and there are other charities with about £78.

Ludford through time

Ludford is now part of South Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ludford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ludford in South Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10414

Date accessed: 22nd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ludford ".