Place:


Linley  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Linley like this:

LINLEY, a parish in Madeley district, Salop; on the Severn Valley railway, 2½ miles SW by S of Broseley, and 4 NW by N of Bridgnorth. It has a station on the railway; and its Post town is Broseley, under Wellington, Salop. Acres, 628. Real property, £841. Pop., 94. Houses, 19. The property is divided between two. The manor belongs to Lord Forester. Linley Hall was formerly the seat of the Lacon family. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Broseley, in the diocese of Hereford. The church is Saxon, has a tower, and was repaired in 1859.

Linley through time

Linley is now part of Bridgnorth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bridgnorth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Linley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Linley, in Bridgnorth and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10403

Date accessed: 22nd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Linley ".