Place:


Hordley  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hordley like this:

HORDLEY, a parish, comprising the townships of Hordley and Bagley, in Ellesmere district, Salop; on the Ellesmere canal, near the river Perry, 3 miles SSW of Ellesmere town and r. station. Post town, Ellesmere, under Shrewsbury. Acres, 2, 479. Rated property, £10, 283. Pop., 291. Houses, 51. ...


The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Mrs. Sulton of Hardwick Hall. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £372. * Patron, J. R. Kenyon, Esq. The church is ancient, was much out of repair in 1866; and contains monuments of the Kynastons. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel and a national school.

Hordley through time

Hordley is now part of North Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hordley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hordley in North Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10387

Date accessed: 18th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hordley ".