Place:


Hopesay  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hopesay like this:

HOPESAY, a village and a parish in Clun district, Salop. The village stands near the river Clun, 4 miles W by N of Craven-Arms r. station, and 5½ SE of BishopsCastle.—The parish contains also the township of Aston, with the head post office of Aston-on-Clun; likewise the townships of Barlow, Little Brampton, Carwood, and part of Broom and Rowton. ...


Acres, 4, 060. Real property, £9, 361. Pop., 676. Houses, 142. The manor belongs to the Earl of Powis. There are vestiges of a Roman camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £603.* Patron, Rev. P. B. Adams. The church is ancient, and has a tower. There are a national school, and charities £15.

Hopesay through time

Hopesay is now part of South Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hopesay itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hopesay in South Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10382

Date accessed: 24th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hopesay ".