Place:


Highley  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Highley like this:

HIGHLEY, a village and a parish in Cleobury-Mortimer district, Salop. The village stands on a risingground, adjacent to the river Severn and to the Severn Valley railway, 7 miles SSE of Bridgnorth; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Bridgnorth. The parish comprises 1, 527 acres. ...


Rated property, £1, 779. Pop., 407. Houses, 82. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to William Jordan, Esq. Good building stone is quarried, and coal was formerly worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £300. * Patron, J. Perry, Esq. The church is tolerable, and has a tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £6.

Highley through time

Highley is now part of Bridgnorth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bridgnorth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Highley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Highley, in Bridgnorth and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10372

Date accessed: 20th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Highley ".