Place:


Great Hanwood  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Hanwood like this:

HANWOOD (GREAT), a parish in Atcham district, Salop; on the river Rea, adjacent to the Shrewsbury and Welshpool railway, 4 miles SW of Shrewsbury. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Shrewsbury, both of the name of Hanwood. Acres, 590. Pop., 288. Houses, 64. There is a large flour mill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £221.* Patron, H. D. Warter, Esq. The church is a brick structure, of about the year 1700.

Great Hanwood through time

Great Hanwood is now part of Shrewsbury and Atcham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shrewsbury and Atcham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Hanwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Hanwood, in Shrewsbury and Atcham and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10369

Date accessed: 25th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Hanwood ".