Place:


Ford  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ford like this:

FORD, a parish, a division, and a hundred in Salop. The parish is in Atcham district; lies on the river Severn, near Watling-street, 3½ miles S of Baschurch r. station, and 5½ W by N of Shrewsbury; and has a post office under Shrewsbury. Acres, 1, 773. Real property, £4, 385. ...


Pop., 351. Houses, 81. The property is much sub-divided. Ford House is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £91. Patron, J. Naylor, Esq. The church is ancient; contains a carved screen and an old font; and was recently in bad condition.-The division is part of the hundred, and contains four parishes and parts of four others. Acres, 22, 508. Pop. in 1851, 4, 405. Houses, 885. -The hundred contains also Pontesbury division. Acres, 33, 970. Pop. in 1861, 7, 767. Houses, 1, 531.

Ford through time

Ford is now part of Shrewsbury and Atcham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shrewsbury and Atcham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ford, in Shrewsbury and Atcham and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10357

Date accessed: 27th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ford ".