Place:


Desborough  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Desborough like this:

DESBOROUGH, a village and a parish in Kettering district, Northampton. The village stands near the Leicester and Bedford railway, 5½ miles NW of Kettering; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Kettering. The parish comprises 2, 410 acres. Real property, £5, 028. ...


Pop., 1, 428. Houses, 301. A number of the inhabitants are silk-plush weavers. The living is a vicarage in the dio. of Peterborough. Value, £149.* Patron, W.Thornhill, Esq. The church is old and cruciform. There are three dissenting chapels, a mechanics' institute, a national school, and charities £37.

Desborough through time

Desborough is now part of Kettering district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kettering has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Desborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Desborough, in Kettering and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1035

Date accessed: 10th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Desborough ".