Place:


Cold Ashton  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cold Ashton like this:

ASHTON (Cold), a parish in Chipping-Sodbury district, Gloucester; on the verge of the county, under the Cotswolds, 5¾ miles N of Bath r. station. It includes the village of Pensylvania; and its Post Town is Marshfield under Chippenham. Acres, 2,300. Real property, £4,284. Pop., 503. Houses, 99. The property is sub divided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £492. Patron, the Rev. E. Sayres. The church has a stone pulpit, and is very good. Charities, £10. Bishop Latimer was for some time rector.

Cold Ashton through time

Cold Ashton is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cold Ashton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cold Ashton in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10331

Date accessed: 21st November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cold Ashton ".