Place:


Ashchurch  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ashchurch like this:

ASHCHURCH, a parish in Tewkesbury district, Gloucester; on the Bristol and Birmingham railway, at the junction of the Tewkesbury branch, 2 miles E of Tewkesbury. It has a station on the railway; it includes the tythings of Pamington, Fiddington and Natton, Aston-on-Carron, and Northway and Newton; and its Post Town is Tewkesbury. ...


Acres, 4,201. Real property, £11,801. Pop., 771. Houses, 159. The property is much subdivided. There is a mineral spring of similar quality to the waters of Cheltenham. The living. is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £270.* Patron, Rev.N. Williams. The church is later English, with a Norman porch and a pinnacled tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £26. The junction of the Tewkesbury branch railway is at Ashchurch; and a railway from A. to Evesham was formed under an act of 1862.

Ashchurch through time

Ashchurch is now part of Tewkesbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tewkesbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ashchurch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ashchurch, in Tewkesbury and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10328

Date accessed: 19th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ashchurch ".