Place:


Ercall Magna  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ercall Magna like this:

ERCALL-MAGNA, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Wellington district, Salop. The village stands near the river Roden and the Shrewsbury canal, 2½ miles WSW of Crudgington r. station, and 5½ NW of Wellington; is called High Ercall; has a post office, of that name, under Wellington, Salop; and was once a market town. ...


The parish includes also the townships of Cold Hatton, Cotwall and Moortown, Crudgington, Ellerdine, Haughton, Isombridge, Osbaston, Poynton, Roden, Rowton, Sleap, and Tern and Walton. Acres, 10, 593. Real property, £15, 763. Pop., 1, 969. Houses, 381. The property is not much divided. The manor belonged anciently to the Ercalaws, and had an eel-fishery at Domesday. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £526.* Patron, the Duke of Cleveland. The church was reported in 1859 to need repair; and a new church, in the early English style, was built in 1864. A grammar school has £100 from endowment; an hospital, £65; and other charities, £31.—The sub-district contains six parishes. Acres, 17, 370. Pop., 3, 230. Houses, 658.

Ercall Magna through time

Ercall Magna is now part of Telford and Wrekin district. Click here for graphs and data of how Telford and Wrekin has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ercall Magna itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ercall Magna, in Telford and Wrekin and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10293

Date accessed: 25th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ercall Magna ".