Place:


Edgmond  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Edgmond like this:

EDGMOND, a village and a parish in Newport district, Salop. The village stands near the Newport canal, 2 miles W of Newport town and r. station; and has a post office under Newport, Salop. The parish includes the townships of Cherrington, Chetwynd-Aston, Church-Aston, and Tibberton. Acres, 9, 598. ...


Real property, £10, 472. Pop., 2, 598. Houses, 533. The property is much subdivided. Edgmond Hall is the seat of the Rev. J. D. Pigott. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £2, 600.* Patron, the Rev. J. D. Corbet. The church is ancient; has a tower; and is good. The rectories of Church-Aston and Tiberton are separate benefices. A school has £10 from endowment, and other charities £67.

Edgmond through time

Edgmond is now part of Telford and Wrekin district. Click here for graphs and data of how Telford and Wrekin has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Edgmond itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Edgmond, in Telford and Wrekin and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10279

Date accessed: 20th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Edgmond ".