Place:


Wigginton  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wigginton like this:

WIGGINTON, a parish, with a village, in Banbury district, Oxford; on the river Swere, 6½ miles SW of Banbury r. station. Post town, Banbury. Acres, 1,780. Real property, £2,471. Pop., 338. Houses, 79. The property is much subdivided. Extensive Roman remains, including a semi-octagonal chamber 20 feet by 14, with tesselated pavement, and another apartment 20 feet by 17½, were discovered in 1824. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £400.* Patron, Jesus College, Oxford. The church is chiefly early English. There are a dissenting chapel and a parochial school.

Wigginton through time

Wigginton is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wigginton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wigginton, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10272

Date accessed: 19th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wigginton ".