Place:


Ditton Priors  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ditton Priors like this:

DITTON-PRIORS, a parish in Bridgnorth district, Salop; under the Clee Hills, 8½ miles SW by W of Bridgnorth r. station. It includes the townships of Middleton-Priors and Ashfield-with-Ruthall; and has a post office under Bridgnorth. Acres, 5, 530. Real property, £3, 892. Pop., 613. ...


Houses, 130. The property is divided among a few. The manor bore anciently the name of Dointun, and belonged to Wenlock abbey. Lime is worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £325.* Patron, P. H. Howard, Esq. The church is ancient; has a tower and wooden spire; and contains an ancient font and some old monuments. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Ditton Priors through time

Ditton Priors is now part of Bridgnorth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bridgnorth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ditton Priors itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ditton Priors, in Bridgnorth and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10255

Date accessed: 18th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ditton Priors ".