Place:


Stonesfield  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stonesfield like this:

STONESFIELD, a parish, with a village, in Woodstock district, Oxford; on Akeman-street and the river Evenlode, 2½ miles NW of Handborough r. station, and 3½ W of Woodstock. It has a post-office under Woodstock. Acres, 1,020. Real property, £1,535. Pop., 650. Houses, 136. The property is much subdivided. ...


A fine Roman pavement, 35 feet by 60, was found in 1711. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £150.* Patron, the Duke of Marlborough. The church is early English and good. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and charities £11.

Stonesfield through time

Stonesfield is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stonesfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stonesfield in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10211

Date accessed: 18th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stonesfield ".