Place:


Clive  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clive like this:

CLIVE, a chapelry in St. Mary parish, Salop; on the Crewe and Shrewsbury railway, near Yorton station, 3 miles S of Wem. Post town, Grinshill, under Shrewsbury. Acres, 1, 370. Pop., 302. Houses, 60. The chapelry was constituted in 1860. The property is much subdivided. Clive Wood, on Clive Hill, has a fine view. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £111.* Patrons, Trustees. The church is old but good; and there is an Independent chapel. Wycherley the poet, and afterwards Ireland, were natives here in one house.

Clive through time

Clive is now part of North Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clive itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clive in North Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10208

Date accessed: 08th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clive ".